Brown algae or Phaeophyceae are characterized by the brownish-black color given to them by substances such as fucoxanthin and pheochroma that camouflage the green color of the blackening chlorophyll.
They are rich in alginic acid and like other algae (red and green) they are rich in chlorophyll and carotenes (beta-carotene and xanthophylls).
Eastern peoples have known for centuries the benefits of brown algae for health and for treating diseases. Traditional oriental medicine uses algae to treat menstrual irregularities and related disorders, they are also recommended to purify the blood and to strengthen the skin, hair and gastrointestinal system .
A VALID HELP FOR METABOLISM
Brown algae are rich in iodine, an essential mineral on which the correct activity of the thyroid gland and the synthesis of thyroid hormones (thyroxine and triiodiothyronine) depend. Thanks to organic iodine, it acts by stimulating the enzymatic action and producing an increase in the basal metabolism, which pushes the body to burn reserve fats (lipolytic action). This attitude is typical of a slowed metabolism due to the presence or absence of a reduced thyroid function which leads to an accumulation of fat.
If you want to lose weight, brown algae must be associated with a healthy and balanced lifestyle:
- Healthy nutrition : the dish must consist of 50% vegetables, 25% proteins and 25% carbohydrates daily. A dish composed in this way allows the correct assimilation of all the macronutrients and avoids becoming deficient and alarming the metabolism that otherwise slows down.
- Physical activity: keep the body fit and toned.
- Rest: sleep allows you to recover strength and regenerate the body. It is essential to choose evening activities that facilitate rest.
FUNCTIONAL BROWN ALGAE:
Brown algae are named with the generic name " KELP ", the main ones are:
- Ascophyllum nodosum : brown seaweed par excellence with strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It contains a very high content of dietary fibers, especially mucilages, oligosaccharides and also beta-glucans. Its richness in silicon allows it to protect the intestinal flora and nourish the "good" bacteria.
- Fucus vescicolosus : seaweed that grows on the coasts of the eastern seas. Rich in iodine and alginic acid, it allows to increase the slowed metabolism and have a beneficial emollient action and has a soothing action on the digestive system and counteracts any disorders related to an irritable bowel.
In synergy they allow to increase the basal metabolism and improve the state of intestinal well-being.