Dr. Giuseppe De Matteis , Biologist who works as a Nutritionist Biologist and professor of herbal medicine, dermatology, trichology and cosmetology in Taranto, illustrates the benefits of avocado in nutrition and its use in cosmetics.
Avocado is a fruit that, due to its properties, can be used both as a food and as a cosmetic ingredient .
We will talk about its uses separately.
AVOCADO AS A FOOD
First of all, before buying an avocado, it is good to make sure that it is not too unripe or too ripe . To make a good purchase, the peel must be dark green and free from brown areas . The consistency must be slightly soft , but not too soft, otherwise it is too ripe .
PROPERTIES OF AVOCADOAvocado is particularly rich in:
- Monounsaturated fat (oleic acid)
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin K1
- Folic acid
- Antioxidants (lutein and zeaxanthin)
Avocado can easily be eaten cut into slices and added to salads, or in some sauces such as guacamole to accompany main courses . There are also recipes for smoothies and smoothies , soups and avocado-based veloutées .
BENEFICIAL PROPERTIESDue to its richness in folic acid it is particularly suitable for pregnant women. Monounsaturated fats are those defined as '' good '' as they are good for overall health and for the prevention of cardiovascular diseases and for the reduction of inflammation in joint diseases , and for the reduction of bad cholesterol .
Antioxidants such as lutein and zeaxanthin protect the eyes and prevent eye diseases .
- Vitamin E has a powerful antioxidant action, able to reduce free radicals which are the main cause of aging of both the body and the skin.
- Vitamin K1 is important for blood clotting and to prevent osteoporosis .
- Vitamin C, an antioxidant for the immune defenses, for the health of the skin and bones, promotes the absorption of iron , preventing anemia.
Potassium helps to regulate blood pressure.
THE BENEFITS FOR THE SKIN
Avocado oil is widely used in the cosmetic industry . We find it in face and body creams , cleansing milk , and even in shampoos and hair conditioners . Its content in monounsaturated fats (the good ones) reaches as much as 70% and are represented by oleic , linoleic and palmitic acids. It is an oil suitable for all skin types .
For the skin, avocado has excellent properties:
- Protective against UV rays
The nourishing properties are obviously derived from the richness of oils such as oleic acid, the anti- aging properties are due to the vitamin E content, the elasticizing properties due to the fact that it increases the production of collagen and the protective ones against UV rays always due to Vitamin E .
In short, avocado is a precious ally for our skin.
Dr. Giuseppe De Matteis, Biologist, Nutritionist, Cosmetology teacher
- Enrica Campanini '' Dictionary of Phytotherapy and Medicinal Plants '' New Techniques
- Dr. Giuseppe De Matteis, notes from the Cosmetology lessons