There vitamin deficiency which is easier to come across, eliminating meat from our diet, is that of vitamin B12 : people who follow a strict vegan or vegetarian diet suffer the most; it is in fact a vitamin that is found mainly in foods of animal origin such as meat, fish, eggs and dairy products; a small part is also found on plants as it is synthesized by bacteria present in the earth, but washing the vegetables or removing the peel means that it is less.
WHAT IS VITAMIN B12 USED FOR? Vitamin B12 supports the functions of the entire group of B vitamins, a complex of extreme interest for the correct performance of all the basic organic activities; each vitamin of group B has its own specific function, but the action of one is linked to the others.
For this reason, the deficiency of one vitamin of the complex often implies the deficiency of the others.
Let's briefly see the functions of the vitamin B group:
- Necessary for the DNA synthesis and for iron absorption;
- They provide energy necessary for the performance of vital functions, for physical and mental activity, converting carbohydrates into glucose;
- They argue the operation of the nervous system , system immune system , the gastrointestinal tract, the skin and adnexa , oral cavity and liver.
SYMPTOMS OF A VITAMIN B12 DEFICIENCYThe effects of a deficiency are felt only after a few months and can be: stress, depression, asthenia, insomnia, anemia, brittle hair, intestinal problems, inflammation of the nerves.
Prevention is better than cure!
Now that we know this precious vitamin better, it is easy to understand how it is necessary to prevent its deficiency rather than remedy it!
Here's how to do it:
- If we have decided to continue eating animal derivatives, following a lacto-ovovegetarian diet, we will still be able to gain the vitamin B12 from chicken eggs and cow's milk.
- If you eat fish you will be able to have the right amount of B12 from oysters, mussels, clams.
- If we have excluded these foods, we can introduce a reliable source of vitamin B12 through a supplement such as Plurimo or by taking algae such as Carrigena algae or chlorella algae .